Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Good Shepherd

I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father, and I lay down my life for the sheep.
                                                            John 10:14-15
               Jesus is speaking to His disciples in this verse and telling them how He is the good shepherd. At this point He has already told them once, but they were confused and did not understand, so they ask Him to explain again. So Jesus tells them how He is the only way to heaven, He is the door to the Father. For if they know Him then they know the Father. For Jesus and the Father are one, and Jesus tells them that just as the Father and Him are one, so are we with Jesus. For if I have put my trust and life into Him as my savior then I am one with Him, and if I am one with Him then I am also one with the Father through Jesus Christ. For Jesus is the way to the Father, the only one. Jesus was sent to this earth to lay down His life for His sheep, being the ultimate good shepherd and sacrificing His own life for the life of His sheep. The disciples were confused at first when Jesus told them and did not understand what He was telling them, they did not know that if you know Jesus you know the Father. For they were asking Jesus to show them the Father, but Jesus made it clear to them that “If you know me, then you know my Father.” It is amazing to me how I am one with Jesus Christ, just as husband and wife become one flesh in marriage, so is the church one with Jesus. And as we are one with Jesus, so are we one with His Father, our Father. If I am one with Jesus then I must live in such a way that represents Him well.

Application- meditate today on the fact that I am one with Jesus, and how that means I should live my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment