Monday, June 9, 2014

Jesus is Approachable

And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and His disciples.
                                                            Matthew 9:10
               As I read Matthew 9 this verse stuck out to me immediately and caught my attention. Jesus had just called the disciple Matthew to follow him and be His disciple and now He goes and sits at a table. He did not, as far as we know, invite these people to come sit with Him. He had just made himself available and approachable. Not having an attitude of pridefulness towards these sinners, but humility. He wanted to listen to them and hear how they were doing I’m sure. It amazes me that Jesus always made himself so approachable. People were constantly coming to Him asking to be healed, to be forgiven, or to just spend time with Him. It makes me really think, if I am supposed to be like Christ and be His disciple, am I doing this? Do I have an approachable attitude? Or do I have a prideful attitude that stops people from coming up to me. This is something I constantly need to check my heart on and ask God to help me with. I am personally not a naturally approachable person I think. I find myself having an attitude towards people for no reason and being prideful about stupid things I think I deserve. I need to ask for forgiveness for this and seek after the Lord and seek to be more like Him in this way. It is very difficult for me to be like that, but if Jesus was like that then I must strive to be like Him. As I prayed about it as well, the Lord showed me how He is still approachable with me right now. He allows me to come to Him at any time, however I may feel, just to spend time with Him and talk with Him. He doesn’t say no to me when I want to spend time with Him, He doesn’t refuse to talk with me. He desires to spend that time with me and hear from me. He always has been, is always, and always will be a very approachable and humble Father to me.
Application- strive to me more like Jesus in this way. Through prayer and spending time with Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment