Friday, September 12, 2014

Giving and Receiving

In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’
                                             Acts 20:35

               To give or to receive, which would you rather do? Selfishly I tend to lean towards the receiving end of any situation. But here we see where Jesus has said that to give is better than receiving. Why? Why is it more blessed to give than to receive? Because that is what Jesus did; Jesus continually gave anything He had. He always gave of his time, his energy, and his love. To give does not always mean to give of material things like money, toys, food, or so on. Giving for me can also mean giving my time, energy, sleep, or love. Even when Jesus was tired and weary from a long day with his disciples he would put the needs of others before his own and give more of his time. Something the Lord has been showing me is that everything I am blessed with, from clothes and money to sleep and time is from Him. He has given me these things that I may glorify him with it. And sometimes that means I should give away those things he has blessed me with. Sometimes it is very difficult for me to give my time. Taking the time that I have been blessed with to spend time with others or reach out to those around me. But the Lord is being patient with me and showing me how to put others before me and give more of my time. For I learn when I begin to give more of myself to God and to others, then I will be truly blessed. More blessed than I may ever be by receiving anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment