Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Nothing Good

For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.
                                                                                          Romans 7:18
               In my own self, in my own will, doing what I would think best there is nothing good. As I grow closer to the Lord He continues to show me my desperate need for Him. I see my sin and my selfishness that so many times takes over as I don’t even realize it. Nothing good dwells in me. How can I take that in and know that it is truth? It is a very difficult thing to accept about myself. In our society we are always taught to trust our hearts, to follow our dreams, to do whatever we wish and what we think is best. If I would have done that I would be walking a very different path than I am right now. I must accept the fact that in my own heart there is nothing good. For my heart is deceitfully wicked and sinful. So then the question comes, if there is nothing good in me how can I do such good things? By the power of Jesus Christ. Allowing myself to be led not by my flesh, but by His Spirit. For those who are led by His Spirit are His children (Romans 7). All my good intentions and good thoughts don’t mean anything if they are not coming from and towards Him. For all is done in vain that is apart from His Spirit. So I desire to be daily led by His Spirit and not my flesh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment